Sunday, March 10, 2013

Celtic Festival St Augustine

I actually won tickets to this festival from the Simply St Augustine blog after I decided to go a month ago.


The husband hasn't been able to make it to any of the local Celtic festivals in the past years. So when I heard about the Celtic Music and Heritage Festival I marked on my calendar. Ok, it was the calendar on my phone.


We wanted to make it to the parade that was held before the festival, but an extended trip to the post office to mail off some sales killed that idea. I knew parking would be a problem and traffic would be outrageous. We ended up making it into the parking garage right before they closed it due to being full.  We did drive behind the parade. Maybe next time.

From atop the parking lot

The festival was packed. They had vendors, sporting events and a huge stage. We wandered around, watched the games and listened to the great music. The husband was able to find his family crest and bought a key chain.


I ran into an old friend who was in the parade. I swear I am more and more of a shut in when I see people I used to hang out with but haven't seen in years and don't know what to say.










After the festival we wandered down St George Street. The husband stepped into a store that has a lot of family crest type things. The guy offered to pull up ours. The husband already knows plenty about his surname. We already have a map of Scotland that shows it. I took a chance and asked the guy to pull up mine. I never have any luck finding my surname. It is not that popular.

Amazingly the guy brought it right up. It is German and ironically the colors were the same as my kitchen - blue and green. In the rundown about the name it said my people are from saints and popes. I definitely didn't imagine that. We didn't buy anything but left with some interesting information.

We went online but haven't been able to find that coat of arms yet. I am still trying. I texted my sister and eldest niece about it. They were surprised too. I guess I may need to do more research.

We have maps of Scotland and Ireland in our dining room. They have the husband's paternal grandmother and grandmother's names on them. The one of Ireland has my paternal grandmother's name. I don't have any more room on the wall and I am not sure if they make one for Italy, but wouldn't that be neat for my maturnal grandparents that both were from Italy.


We wandered around thinking about food. The husband chose Cruisers Grill. You could smell burgers from the street. The lady in line in front of us raved about the burgers and the fries. That had us. Although there was a line to get in it didn't take more than 10 minutes to sit down. 

The waitress was so nice. The husband chose the biggest thing on the menu - a double country fried steak. I went with the Burger of the Month - Guacamole Burger. The waitess explained that everything was fresh so it may not come out at the same time. 

We got my fries first. They were good. The ranch they came with made them even better. The husband loved his country fried steak. My burger was good. The chipotle mayo was a good mild spice and with the cool guacamole a nice combination. It was a little pricey for lunch but i would go back. We usually have pizza in St Augustine. I think it's time to expand our horizons. 


Since we were in St Augustine I had to stop by the only outlet store that I frequent... Converse. I only wear Chuck Taylor hi tops. I haven't been having much luck when I stop by there in the past year. The last pair I got was the pair of brown boots the husband bought me last Valentine's Day. I definitely needed some new shoes. 


The only pair of hi tops my size on the wall of discounted shoes was a pair of black and white. I was unsure. The price on the box was $29.97 or whatever. The only other ones discounted my size with the regular prices shoes were orange and a denim blue. Not work shoes. So I took the chance on the black and white pair and decided I needed new shoes and they were the best deal. When I went to ring up they came up as 19.97! I was so excited. They are now my 4th favorite pair and I haven't worn them. The skull & cross bones (the most I spent on any pair of shoes) is #1. Then #2 is the all blue pair I tend to wear every Friday to work and everyone comments on. Number 3 goes to the brown boots the husband bought me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment