Sunday, July 31, 2011

I must confess...


Somehow the husband and I ended up talking about Chick Flicks. Of course he only admits to liking Hope Floats for the Garth Brooks song. I think that is a cop out and he probably secretly loves Sandra Bullock.

I am not a fan of chick flicks. I despise Lifetime movies. You can tell what is going to happen and they are so unrealistic. I can see how they are an escape for people, but I don’t enjoy them. Yet there are a few chick flicks that I enjoy and will watch again and again.

1. Love Actually

Why: British folks are hilarious. Great cast. Intertwined stories. Good music. Wonderful cinematography.

2. Bridget Jones Diary

Why: Goofy. British folks are hilarious. I love Colin Firth. Hugh Grant looks like a fool.

3. When Harry Met Sally

Why: Billy Crystal. Bruno Kirby. Carrie Fisher. New York City is a character and it sees every season. Spans years. Great dialogue. Funny. Quotable.

So we have a common theme… dialogue and cinematography to excuse my liking specific “chick flicks”.

And I like Bride Maids because it was the anti-chick flick. Of course I laughed harder than the husband, but it was cute.


I don't agree with some of the choices. Aliens is not a chick flick. Yes, it is about a strong, empowered woman. But it isn't sappy like I would say a chick flick can be.

So I went to another site for a top list. I went to IMDB since they are my go to source of all things movie.

http://www.imdb.com/list/nPZaOKosrKw/?start=1&view=compact&sort=listorian:asc

1. The Notebook 2004

2. Moulin Rouge! 2001

3. Pride & Prejudice 2005

4. Sleepless in Seattle 1993

5. The Lake House 2006

6. Kate & Leopold 2001

7. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days 2003

8. While You Were Sleeping 1995

9. You've Got Mail 1998

10. When Harry Met Sally... 1989

I have seen 6 out of these 10. Yet only one made my top list. Hmmmm.

I tried a different approach. How about the top chick flicks for men...

Askmen.com

http://www.askmen.com/feeder/askmenRSS_article_print_2006.php?ID=914861

Chick flicks for guys

Number 10

Meet Joe Black (1998)

Number 9

Desperately Seeking Susan (1985)

Number 8

Thelma & Louise (1991)

Number 7

An Officer and a Gentleman (1982)

Number 6

When Harry Met Sally (1989)

Number 5

Serendipity (2001)

Number 4

The Craft (1996)

Number 3

Blue Crush (2002)

Number 2

Mean Girls (2004)

Number 1

Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001)


So, no matter what movie you watch or admit to liking, people have different opinions on what exactly a chick flick is.


No comments:

Post a Comment