Saturday, November 12, 2011

A quick trip

I have been wanting to check out the ARC Thrift store since I am trying to get more into collecting old books. The one in Starke has a huge room of books. They don't have a lot of other things that interest me, but I have been thinking about that book room.


The husband was driving the other car to his folks and had the dog, so I went on my own. He joked I would be three hours looking at the books. It was not that long. Of course I came home with much more than if he was with me.

The prices on hardcovers are a little high for me at $1.00 each. I found 1 Family Circle cook book and 2 Better Homes & Gardens flower/landscaping books - all from the 60s. I found 4 hardcover books from the 60s and 70s and one from the 80s from a writer I like. I took a chance on them since I didn't use my phone to look anything up.

Better Homes & Gardens Landscape Planning | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I was surprised when I looked up Who Gets the Drumstick by Helen Beardsley. Her book was the basis for the movies Yours, Mine and Ours (1968 and 2005). She was the real life lady whose family the movies were based on. That should be an interesting read. I am a little fascinated on how people deal with having large families. I am still in my watching The Waltons phase.


I also found The Love Boats by Jeraldine Saunders. Yes, the book that stated The Love Boat TV show. I have a way of finding books based on movies or when I was younger I would find a book and it would later be made into a movie.


The other couple books were me taking a leap on them just being older books. I don't have great hopes on them. But what else I found was a huge stack of National Geographic magazines. They had 1958, a bunch from the 70s, 80s and even the 90s. I love National Geographic because not only do they have great photographs and interesting articles, they have awesome ads. I love finding old ads, especially for cars and it even lists the price. They warm my nostalgic side.


The best part was that the cashier said the magazines were 25 cents each. I had a pile of 11. She said she would give them to me for $2. I said, oh don't tell me that. She said she needed to get rid of them for the space. I went back and got 19 more. She charged me $5 for 30 magazines. Sweet! 

Earlier in the day I stopped at the Teaching Farm on CR 18 in Hampton. It is run by the Florida Coalition for Peace and Justice. Last time I stopped at their yard sale I scored an old school slide projector. I am waiting on my slides to try it out to come in the mail. I also found my neat 60s fabric print with trees that found a sweet place in the retro living room. 

Today I scored a BF Skinner book and a 70s magazine, plus I bought the husband a golf ball ornament, all for 75 cents. Their yard sale material has seriously depleted. I don't think they are getting the donations they once did. :(



No comments:

Post a Comment