Saturday, September 25, 2010

New Mexican Educational Vacation Part 1

I have been wondering where I should go with this blog since I started this, the second one. The first was all about me going on and on about life and those who annoyed me. And also being single and living alone. I do enjoy a good rant, but I don't want to bore the one person who may stop on this blog randomly at 3 am one day three months from now.

How about writing about what I come across. It seems to be varied topics if you knew what I watch on TV and what I google. And I have referred to myself as "The Googler" enough times that my husband has also referred to me as that. I am either "The Googler" or my husband is easily manipulated.

While out on vacation it took an educational slant since I have Internet on my phone. If I wonder about anything I Google it and read it to the husband or whomever is closest to me. This could be informative and interesting or very annoying. I am hoping it was the first.

So while on vacation in the most beautiful state of New Mexico, which I have never been to before in my life, our first stop was Elephant Butte. My husband's family has a single wide trailer right there by the Butte and I fell in love with the place.

I will admit that I have been utilizing Wikipedia more in recent years even though I have always made fun of it. I picked on the site due to my brief background in journalism and its lack of credibility since anyone can post anything on it. Yet with a slow internet phone I take what I can from the first few sites to come up on Google and it is usually Wikipedia. If I want to report my experiences here in the blog I will try and get reputable sites slash sources. I know, that goes against all that blogs stand for (hahaha, nothing personal, I am kidding).

According to http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/PRD/elephant.htm the New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department site, Elephant Butte is the most popular and largest lake in New Mexico. And it was HUGE! There were a bunch of campers, boaters, fishing folks and swimmers at this beautiful lake. Oh, I forgot the second weekend when they had hot air balloons. That was beautiful too. The husband and I discovered that we both like hot air balloons when we went on this trip. That is what led us to the Anderson-Abruzzo Albuquerque International Balloon Museum.

http://www.cabq.gov/balloon/

It cost $4 for non-residents ($3 for New Mexicans). We wandered around a cute, small museum that covered the history of balloons since, well forever. They even had interactive parts. The husband attempted flying a balloon. I tried to make my own colorful balloon. The staff were very nice. They have a nice sized gift shop. I bought a magnet, of course. It was informative and interesting. I had no idea that Japan had sent thousands of balloons to the US during World War II. See, I told you there was educational aspect to the vacations.

I ate at a La Pinata Restaurant in Truth or Consequences, NM. I had a great New Mexican burrito. I didn't know they could come with potatoes in them. Of course I had green chilies on it. Good prices and a small, small town restaurant where the waitress says people don't like her because they are jealous. Not quite Flo from Alice, but she would do for some town gossip I am sure.



We didn't get to do anymore than drive through Truth or Consequences, or TOC according to the locals. From the ride through it looked a little like the small town I live in. Small movie theater, a downtown area and lots of trailers.



It also makes me want to watch the film Truth or Consequences, NM again. Although the town has little to do with the film it wasn't a bad flick. Check it out. The 90s had some good indie films.

'

No comments:

Post a Comment