Sunday, May 26, 2013

Phone Home

I got a new cell phone this week. It has kept me busy switching things over and downloading apps. The husband talked me into the upgrade. Also my last phone had ongoing issues – such as turning itself off, taking a screen shot rather than locking and being generally annoying.


I am not usually a person with the latest phone. Even when I worked for a cell phone company and I could have any phone I always ended up with the boring, out of fashion or never quite caught on phones. Plus I don’t see the point of paying a ton of money for a phone I can’t even take into work. For 9 hours a day it is turned off in the car.

Last October when my phone went into the eternal loop and died I wanted to get the Samsung Galaxy S3. I didn’t have Galaxy S3 money. I bought a refurbished version of the same phone I had. Call it laziness. Call it being cheap. I still spent more on it than I wanted to.


The husband was fed up with his phone even though we just got him a new battery 6 months ago. He looked around and decided he wanted the Galaxy S3. Now the husband and I look for different things in phones. We have never had the same phone, until now. We went to our provider about an upgrade. They wanted over $100 per phone. Then I remembered what a co-worker said about his upgrade a few months back – Radio Shack’s website. We ended up getting two phones for $100, plus free shipping. So now we have the same phone but in different colors. The husband almost broke the phone in less than 24 hours, so he bought a camo cover (big surprise).


Today we listed our old phones online hoping to get a few bucks. Plus to my surprise the husband went through the drawer we have been putting all the phone do dads for years. We found 4 phones to donate to a domestic violence shelter and a bunch of chargers to take to the local thrift store (once they move).

Did I mention my favorite local thrift, the ARC Thrift Store is moving in a couple weeks? Well, they are moving to the next building over. But the whole building will have AC (not just less than half) and the rent is cheaper. I love this thrift because A) they aren’t far away, B) it’s a great cause,  C) they have awesome prices and D) the people who volunteer there are great.


I have been going there more often lately because A) the husband keeps finding bicycles there and B) the prices are dirt cheap. This weekend I bought 40 books for $2. I was ramdomly picking them off the shelf just to get to 40. I am only keeping 4 of them for myself. As soon as I got them I used the new phone to list half of them online – the half with ISBN numbers. See, the new phone is already handy.

The husband still got the best deal. They let him have the Charlie the Tuna stuffed animal for free with purchase. 


2 comments:

  1. Hey, if any of your unwanted books are by D.E. Stevenson, let me know! She was one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't come across her, yet. I will keep on looking!

      Delete